Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Homeless man

Months ago, on our street a man walked up with a little blood on his forehead like he had fallen over or been in a fight. When he asked for money a memory of this same quick thinking story teller popped up. Months before that in Glebe he had told us a story of needing money to call the NRMA for some insurance issue with his car. He was very convincing, gave him $1 or so.

On our street, those months later he told an ever longer story of recently being released from prison, having bank account difficulties and a plan to return to Adelaide, where his son lived, to start a new life. When he realised we were receptive he said what he really needed was $20 to get a room at a shelter for the night before his flight in the next few days. So we gave him the money and wished him well.

Today when he approached me, the first time I've seen him since, I gave my usual response to beggars. "Sorry". He said, "I just need 20c". I repeated my answer. He said "No you're fucking not". I shouted "I am" after him in some sort of futile effort. I felt crappy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home